Monday, May 27, 2013

Workday

I was supposed to have updated the blog this morning.  Oops!
Lunch is simmering - sopa pollo, and I got the table set so I have a few free moments.

Yesterday we attended church in Las Cruces. After dinner we visited the home of long time friends of the Capps.  Upon return to Chaparral we enjoyed a much needed siesta.  In the cool of the evening (80*) I took time to water bamboo that is dying due to the drought, while Chloe did some house chores.  We then drove up the road to Nate and Maya's home to visit with them. Nate is the Capps son, and Maya his beautiful wife from Mexico. They have 4 fun, entertaining, very intelligent children.  Chloe and I enjoyed playing with the kids while the guys worked on the bus. Little Sarah, who is 4, chattered up a storm of fluent Spanish to me- wondering why I wasn't responding. She would say, "why you not talking to me?" with her little hands on her hips.  Her sweet mom, learning English herself, would kindly translate.  Six year old Andres whooped Chloe in a game of Red Light-Green Light-Go.  She cried herself to sleep.  (Not really).

By 6:30 this morning the guys were working on the airplane.  We've fallen into a morning routine of working until breakfast, which is around 8-8:30. After our meal they went back to working on equipment.  Debbie lined Chloe and I out on the van project.  'The Van' is a 15 passenger with the back two seats removed.  The cargo area was full of donated school supplies, clothing, and work tools.  Chloe sorted through clothing; packing it into suitcases, or Wal-mart sacks that could be shoved under the seats.  I took on the school supply project like a champ.  A Conestoga Elementary class in Gillette, WY took gathering classroom supplies seriously!  Stacked horizontally, all of the pencils filled two one gallon bags FULL.  There were also index cards galore, glue sticks, a jillion
math flash cards, rulers, binder clips, erasers, paper, glitter, scissors, a calculator, dry erase boards and more.  As a kid I would get into trouble for stuffing and shoving things to rid of them.  Today my mom would be embarrassed  proud that I put those skills to work.  After shoving the bags under the seats we stuffed any available space with shoes - one shoe at a time until we could securely say there was no more room.  After the back two rows of seats are installed we will get to shove and stuff once again.  See, this work business really is fun!
This afternoon Chloe is helping Debbie with her prayer letter.  Dad and Ed retrieved the bus that Nate finished working on.  The bus will not be making this trip to Mexico.  They still need to complete paperwork to avoid paying Duty (taxes) on it, since it is going to a school.  More mechanical work will be completed and wheel barrows repaired.  It's sort of a down-time in the afternoons due to the heat.  We'll be texting the Oklahoma group as they are gathering paint, food, and gear to leave from home early tomorrow morning.  They've been hard at work cleaning up after the tornado at their own homes.  Even though they will be working hard in Mexico it might seem like light labor to them after this past week!  We continue to pray endurance for that group.
Last month I sprained my ankle.  It has healed well, but can still be a bit sore.  This morning I was talking on the phone with my family, while wiggling into my shoes, and rolled it again.  Yes, this does prove that I can't walk and talk at the same time.  Please pray that it will stop hurting and will not be a problem.  I do have a brace packed, and will put it on when the swelling [once again] resides.

Tomorrow we will spend the day in town purchasing more building supplies, food, and exchanging
money into pesos.  By evening we need to be packed and loaded for an early departure on Wednesday morning.  I was afraid to ask them to define 'early'.

Adios for now,
Steph

Just before lunch we ran to the local market.  On the way back home Debbie stopped at a Mexican Bakery in Chaparral.  Besides picking out various pastries, she requested a cactus burrito.  We tried it as our noontime appetizer and was it ever good!  I'm hooked.  Kirk is going to think I've lost it when he finds me boiling cactus for dinner.  I'll try to smile and act like its perfectly normal.

No comments:

Post a Comment